Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-07 13:53
青韻是我家!
註冊日: 2006-04-29
來自: Hong Kong
發表數: 583
Deanna Durbin sings Traditional Folksongs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Durbin

Deanna Durbin (born December 4, 1921) is a Canadian singer and Academy Award-winning actress from Hollywood films of the 1930s and 1940s.

Early life
Born Edna Mae Durbin at Grace Hospital in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, she adopted the professional name Deanna at the commencement of her career. Her parents, James and Ada Durbin, were immigrants from Lancashire, England, and she had an older sister named Edith.

Career
Durbin signed a contract with MGM in 1935 and made her first film appearance in a short subject Every Sunday with another contractee, Judy Garland. Studio executives were questioning the wisdom of having two girl singers on the roster and the film was to serve as an extended screen test for the pair. Ultimately Louis B. Mayer decreed that both girls would be kept, but by the time that decision was made Durbin's contract option had elapsed.[1]

In Life magazine's December 21, 1936 issue, before the release of her first feature length film, a young Deanna was featured in the article "Their Music Makes News", which was about new and exceptional young musical talents, and is pictured cutting her 14th birthday cake.

Durbin was quickly signed to a contract with Universal Studios and made her first feature-length film Three Smart Girls in 1936. The huge success of her films was reported to have saved the studio from bankruptcy.[2] In 1938 she received a special Academy Juvenile Award, along with Mickey Rooney. Such was Durbin's international fame and popularity that diarist Anne Frank pasted her picture to her bedroom wall in the Achterhuis where the Frank family hid during World War II. The picture can still be seen there today, and was pointed out by Frank's friend Hannah Pick-Goslar in the documentary film Anne Frank Remembered.

Durbin is perhaps best known for her singing voice—a voice described variously as light but full, sweet, unaffected and artless. With the technical skill and vocal range of a legitimate lyric soprano, she performed everything from popular standards to operatic arias. Dame Sister Mary Leo in New Zealand was so taken with Durbin's technique that she trained all her students to sing in this way. Sister Mary Leo produced a large number of famous sopranos including Dames Malvina Major and Kiri Te Kanawa, all of whom were said to sound like her.

Durbin married an actor, Vaughn Paul, in 1941 and they were divorced in 1943. Her second marriage, to film producer Felix Jackson in 1945, produced a daughter, Jessica Louise Jackson, and ended in divorce in 1949.

Gossip columnist Hedda Hopper alleged that Durbin had an affair with Joseph Cotten. However, the slur was completely untrue as Cotten testified in his autobiography. What brought about the rumor of an affair was that both Cotten and Durbin stayed overnight at the studio without the other one knowing it, only to realize it when they met the next morning at the commissary. Cotten was so enraged by Hopper's conduct that he kicked her chair out from underneath her just as she was about to sit down at a Hollywood function. This generated a spontaneous round of applause from spectators.[citation needed]

In private life, the actress continued to use her given name; salary figures printed annually by the Hollywood trade publications listed the actress as "Edna Mae Durbin, player." Her studio continued to cast her in musicals, and filmed two sequels to her original success, Three Smart Girls. The second sequel was a wartime story called Three Smart Girls Join Up, but Durbin issued a press release announcing that she was no longer inclined to participate in these team efforts and was now performing as a solo artist. The Three Smart Girls Join Up title was changed to Hers to Hold.

She made her only film in Technicolor in 1944, Can't Help Singing featuring some of the last songs written by Jerome Kern. It has a distinction of being one of the few musical comedies with a Western setting, filmed mostly on location in southern Utah. Her co-star was Robert Paige, who is better known for his work in television dramas in the 1950s.[3]

Durbin then tried to assume a more sophisticated film persona in such films as the film noir Christmas Holiday (1944) and the whodunit Lady on a Train (1945), but the public preferred her in light musicals. In 1947, her employers merged with two other companies to create Universal-International, and the new regime discontinued most of Universal's familiar product, including musicals, westerns, and comedies. Durbin stayed on for three more pictures before quitting the studio in 1948. Durbin's new bosses sued her for wages they had paid in advance, but Durbin settled the suit amicably by agreeing to make three more pictures, including one to be filmed on location in Paris.

Durbin did go to Paris, but not for professional reasons. She married Charles David, who had directed her in Lady on a Train. Durbin vowed that she would never return to show business, so the three films were never made.

She and her husband raised Durbin's second child, Peter David. Since then she has resisted numerous offers to perform, including several by Mario Lanza, and has granted only one brief interview in 1983, to film historian David Shipman, steadfastly asserting her right to privacy. She maintains that privacy today, declining to be profiled on Internet websites. However, she made it known that she did not like the Hollywood studio system and decided to retire.[4]

Her husband, director Charles David, died in Paris on March 1, 1999.

Deanna Durbin has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1722 Vine Street.
Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-07 13:56
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin - Danny Boy

Performer - Deanna Durbin
Lyrics - Frederick Weatherly

The famous ballad "Danny Boy", ironically, was written by a man who never set foot in Ireland. Weatherly, an English barrister who was also a prolific poet, had originally set "Danny Boy" to music he had composed. The song was not successful. When he heard the "Londonderry Air", he realized that "Danny Boy" would fit nicely to that tune. Over 100 songs have been set to "Londonderry Air", but "Danny Boy" is the most famous. Band and orchestral musicians will also recognize the tune as Grainger's "Irish Tune from County Derry".

Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling,
From glen to glen and down the mountain side;
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling;
It's you, it's you must go, and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow;
I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow;
Danny boy, Oh Danny boy, I love you so.

But if ye come and all the flowers are dying,
If I am dead, as dead I well may be.
Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying,
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I will know, 'though soft ye tread around me,
And then my grave shall richer sweeter be,
Then you'll bend down and tell me that you love me,
And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.

Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-07 14:00
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin - The Last Rose of Summer

Performer - Deanna Durbin
Words - Thomas Moore
Music - John Stevenson

This is from the movie "Three Smart Girls Grow Up". The song was recorded just before Durbin's 17th birthday, in late 1938.

'Tis the last rose of summer,
Left blooming all alone,
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone.
No flower of her kindred,
No rose bud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes,
Or give sigh for sigh.

Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-07 14:02
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin - Loch Lomond

Deanna Durbin performs the Scottish folk song which was probably composed in the 1700s. This clip comes from the 1940 movie "It's a Date", filmed when Durbin was 18.

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Where me and my true love were ever wont to gae
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.

O you'll tak' the high road and I'll tak' the low road
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye
For me and my true love will ne-er meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.

'Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep sides o' Ben Lomond
Where deep in purple hue, the hieland hills we view
And the moon comin' out in the gloamin'.
Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-07 14:11
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin - Old Folks at Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqh-dNeQ-o&feature=related

Deanna Durbin singing Old Folks at Home (Way down upon the Swanee River) from the film "Nice Girl".

Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-07 14:16
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin sings Russian Folk Songs

Fragment from "His Butler's Sister". Deanna Durbin sings Russian folklore songs
Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-11 23:51
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin - I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen

Deanna Durbin sings "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" (Westendorf). From FOR THE LOVE OF MARY.

Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-11 23:57
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin sings HOME,SWEET HOME

This is the greatest scene from Deanna in all her movies (FIRST LOVE movie), though she considers her best Christmas Holiday.
Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-12 23:53
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin sings ANNIE LAURIE

Annie Laurie (Lady John Scott, William Douglas)

Maxwellton braes are bonnie
Where early fa's the dew
And it's there that Annie Laurie
Gied me her promise true
Gied me her promise true
Which ne'er forgot will be
And for bonnie Annie Laurie
I'd lay me doon and dee

Her brow is like the snowdrift
Her neck it's like the swan
Her face it is the fairest
That e'er the sun shone on
That e'er the sun shone on
And dark blue is her e'e
I'd lay me doon and dee

Where early fa's the dew
Gied me her promise true
Gied me her promise true
I'd lay me doon and dee

Like dew on the gowan lying
Is the fa' of her fairy feet
And like wind in summer sighing
Her voice is low and sweet
Her voice is low and sweet
She's a' the world to me
I'd lay me doon and dee

Where early fa's the dew
Gied me her promise true
Gied me her promise true
I'd lay me doon and dee

Annie (Anna) Laurie was born on 16 December 1682. The original poem was written by William Douglas of Fingland around 1700, then improved and extended by Lady John Scott of Lauderdale around 1834-35. William Douglas was not accepted by Anna's father Sir Robert Laurie, first baronet of Maxwellton, as he was a Hanoverian Royalist whilst William was a fiery Jacobite. Both Fingland and Maxwellton are located in Dumfries in the Scottish Borders.
Louis
發表時間: 2008-09-13 00:56
青韻是我家!
Deanna Durbin - Love's Old Sweet Song

Deanna Durbin sings Love's Old Sweet Song (Just A Song At Twilight).

Once in the dear dead days beyond recall
When on the world the mists began to fall
Out of the dreams that rose in happy throng
Low to our hearts love sung an old sweet song .
And in the dusk where fell the firelight gleam
Softly it wove itself into our dream
Just a song at twilight, when the lights are low
And the flick'ring shadows softly come and go
Though the heart be weary sad the day and long ,
Still to us at twilight comes love's old song
Comes love's own sweet song
Even today we hear love's song of yore .
Deep in our hearts it dwells for evermore
Footsteps may falter, weary grow the way
Still we can hear it at the close of day
So till the end, when life's dim shadows fall
Love will be found the sweetest song of all
Just a song at twilight, when the lights are low
And the flick'ring shadows softly come and go
Though the heart be weary sad the day and long ,
Still to us at twilight comes love's old song
Comes love's own sweet song
(1) 2 »
樹狀顯示 | 新的在前 前一個主題 | 下一個主題 |